I won this book through the Goodreads Giveaways (my first win!) And my little Irish-American heart is so excited to have the opportunity to read about Irish people right here on St. Patrick's Day! I had never heard of the Irish invasions of Canada, so the title alone intrigued me. I'm not very knowledgeable about history either, but because of my Irish heritage, I was excited to learn more.
We Owe Illegals Nothing We Owe Our Veterans Everything T-Shirt, Veterans shirt
I'll start with the negatives and why I'm not giving this 5 stars. Like I said, history is not my favorite, especially war history and battle stories. So the book moves a bit slow for me while detailing all the different splits between the groups, but at least the fight scenes go pretty fast. Although, that may be because the Fenians repeatedly failed to successfully invade Canada and used it as leverage to liberate Ireland. It's a bit disappointing that the Fenians don't seem to have made much progress, although the author suggests that they inspired the next generation of Irish republicans to eventually liberate Ireland from Irish rule. Brother.
My favorite part about this book is how the author describes each person's background because it gives insight into why they were so passionate about liberating Ireland. Of course, I had heard of the potato famine and knew that millions of Irish died or left the country, but reading about the millions who fled to America gave me a new perspective. It also gives me a fun new fact to pull out on St. Patrick's Day: before the Great Famine, the average Irish working-class man ate FOUR POTATOES PER DAY! And the average working-class woman is at 11 pounds a day! It makes a lot more sense why starving Ireland destroyed, and why so many blame the British.
Buy this shirt: Click here to buy this Luxashirt – Official We Owe Illegals Nothing We Owe Our Veterans Everything T-Shirt, Veterans shirt






Buy Now: We Owe Illegals Nothing We Owe Our Veterans Everything T-Shirt, Veterans shirt
0 Comments